Monday, September 9, 2013

Le Mepris

Googled from: http://www.jointhestylehighclub.com/tag/60s-hair/
              Good day my dear readers! Break from all the in depth study on film movements. Here is another movie review we are fortunate enough to watch. Le Mepris is an Italian 1963 movie directed by Jean Luc Godard. Just with a short preview about the plot of the film as to my understanding, it is about a writer who is hired to work with the director Fritz Lang himself, producer who wants to changed the script and a problem with her wife falling out of love to him. I face two problems with watching the film first for those who have been faithfully reading or have read my previous post I have a margin of not to look at scenes which I feel would trigger a struggle to me mentally. The movie started with man and a woman in bed, in which the woman is naked and the man is not. Usually when previous scenes would tell if something like this or particularly sex scenes I would close my eyes and listen to the script but in this movie I can't, so inside I ask for guidance. Second, due to lack of time our professor needs to skip some scenes. However, I appreciate lots of things about the film. In fact, I would say it is a great film and I hope I would remember to re watch this when I get married. :) 

Actress Brigitte Bardot as
Googled from: http://babayaganyc.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/le-mepris-contempt-1963/

              With the second problem that I did face, I had to research information about the film and tempted to read other critique's analysis but the Spirit won and here I am telling you this is my pure reaction and understanding of it (hope it would be helpful for you). I learned that the movie is as old as my mom's but as I watch I have felt the timelessness with the way the movie is created. Especially the beauty of the lead actress. Little things like their fashion who are being repeated to be don this year are the few little things that I enjoyed. It talks about many stuff like love, profession and reality of life. 

In love, profession and reality of life. 

Googled from: http://paszcza.blogspot.com/2011/10/le-mepris-jean-luc-godard-1963-pogarda.html
          The movie how a good script and the way the throwing of lines makes me as an audience hook. As I said in the first paragraph it started with the couple on the bed the where the woman is confirming the man's love for her. But later on when I saw that the man allows her wife to ride a car alone with the producer, arrive 30 minutes late, told her wife that he'll wash his hands but end up comforting the crying interpreter (the writer and his wife are Italian while the producer is American so they need the girl interpreter) and his wife saw him tapping the but of the girl; and he hurts his wife. But when the wife finally stands to her decision that she doesn't love him anymore; he goes and give up his job to get her wife back. This is the timelessness of the film, it is still a problem up to the present date. A man who doesn't know what he really wants, ends up making the wrong priorities. But of course, I admire the man's desire to give a better house for his wife. The wife on my perspective doesn't love his husband that much too. I feel that she too doesn't know what she wants and just like the lies many of us women are blinded to believe; a man who would appreciate our beauty and would give us what we want and if are not happy a woman because of the modern world now can live his husband just like that. I believe God didn't design marriage to be like that. 



        Being guided with our Prof. Jamal Ashley Abbas as we watch the movie; a particular scene wher Fritz Lang talked to the leading man and wittingly relate the story of Odyssey to the his (the leading man; writer) present problem gave me a deeper understanding of the story. I still feel the lapses inside of not finishing the movie and the skips but hearing the lines in the scene brought understanding that a man leaves or escape like in what Odyssey did prolonging his return to his wife means he is no longer happy or look forward to seeing his wife. Here is us, like in the story of odyssey and the film living a life out of direction. So we end up following the usual the way to fame; money and search of love. The way which would not require pain and discomfort. If at some point of the way we are hurt we immediately look for escape. I've been there. I give all the credit to the Almighty for a renewed direction in life. One that might be rocky but sure. 

Googled from: http://thefunambulist.net/2011/05/21/cinema-the-paradigm-of-modern-cinema-the-cinematographic-introspection-godard-fellini-truffaut-assayas-hansen-love/

Editing and Shooting

Googled from: http://films7.com/art/film/godard-mepris-ile-mystere-verite
           I feel that the way the movie what shoot and edit contribute a lot of me being in love with it. The on location scenes, of the sea, the house, a vacation house that have stairs reaching the roof, the way the couple was shot as they throw their lines in the house location where they will be both seen but a barrier like column would signify separation. Plus the right timing of putting single scenes the woman going her head up from water in earlier scenes then later on in the movie she would be swimming makes me go 'ohhhh. that's it' moments. One thing, I notice that there is just one (so, I think) musical score used when there are shifting scenes; it currently plays in my head now as I write this (lol). I found it unique and beautiful. Maybe one of Godard's auteur. 



All in all the movie is worth watching given the guidance of an open mind, heart to relate and understand for the betterment of one's life. 
























No comments:

Post a Comment