Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Reflection on PBS American Cinema 10 0f 10 Edge of Hollywood


New Hollywood and Independent Film Making


               Hi there guys! If you would notice this article was awkwardly place here in my blog for this is a follow up post on our readings about the said era of film making back on Sept 3. check this. During this day we weren't able to finish the whole documentary but what I learn is that during that time directors wanted their movies to more personal and related to the audience. The studios at that time were on the market for directors who would catch the taste of the movie going public. Sam Raimi, writer and director describe the era as the "lifeblood of Hollywood" and the directors are "setting the trends and wildest ideas". 

scene from the movie crooklyn by Spike Lee picture from: http://madamenoire.com/tag/zelda-harris/

            One I remembered discuss in the documentary is the rise of black movies with the notable director Spike Lee (I got his name when I goggled the picture above because the title of the movie is what retained on my mind.).  It is said that it is unusual yet covered a whole new set of audience which of course the black Americans. :) I learned that the movie is about the way of living of the black Americans in Brooklyn at that time. Again, I see that the directors are making way to create a movement by using film as their mouth piece as to what has been thoroughly discuss to us during the semester in dealing with the things about the fall of the studio system. Again, it is a truth the directors are on their way to create movies that they feel would matter by observing to the reality of what is happening in the world. 

            How I wish that I can share more about the documentary but I want to be honest with you because this is what only retained/understand on my mind. Feel free to get copies of the documentary and ad more information below at the comment box.          

No comments:

Post a Comment